Click the topic below to skip to that section:

NHS 111


You can call 111 when you need medical help or for an out of hours GP appointment. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help; it is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

The simple rules are call 111 if:

  • you need medical help but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you might need to go to A&E
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • your GP surgery isn’t open
  • Dental pain
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next 

Pharmacy Opening Hours

Pharmacy Contact Details

Dewsbury District Walk-in Centre

Walk-in Centre

Locala Walk-In-Centre
Emergency Department
Dewsbury and District Hospital
Halifax Road
WF13 4HS

Tel: 01924 542695

Who might I see at the Walk in Centre?

We have nurse practitioners and paramedic practitioners trained to diagnose and treat minor illnesses and injuries. We do not see patients under 1 years old or pregnancy related illness.

Urgent Care Centres

Dewsbury and District Hospital

Tel: 01924 541000

Address: Halifax Road, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, WF13 4HS


Huddersfield Royal Infirmary

Tel: 01484 342000   Fax: 01484 342888

Address: Acre Street, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, HD3 3EA



A&E or 999


Pinderfields Hospital

Tel: 01924 541000

Address: Pinderfields Hospital, Aberford Road, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF1 4DG



999 should only be used in emergency or life threatening situation.  Here are some examples of situations when you should dial 999 immediately (please note, this list is not exhaustive):

  • Chest pain
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Severe loss of blood
  • Severe burns and scalds
  • Choking
  • Fitting/convulsions
  • Drowning
  • Severe allergic reaction
  • Head injury

Social Care

Social care is provided by Kirklees Council and provides people (who need additional support to access services) the opportunity to live independently.

Examples of social care are:

  • Home adaptions and equipment
  • Care home and respite care 
  • Supporting carers
  • Blue badge applications
  • Disability, long term conditions and mental health assistance
  • Safeguarding

The contact number for social care is 01484 414933, this service is available 365 days a year 24 hours a day. 

Please note: On Christmas day, Boxing Day and New Years Day the service can only accept limited numbers of calls and queries.  

Mental Health Support

 If you have already suffered serious harm: Call  999 and ask for an ambulance or go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department. If you have thoughts of self-harming, are feeling suicidal or have a life-threatening emergency, contact someone immediately:

Contact the Kirklees Touchstone Well Bean Crisis Cafe (Telephone referrals are taken each night between 6 and 7pm) 

  • Huddersfield – Referral number:  07741900395. Open Saturday, Sunday and Monday 6pm – Midnight
  • Dewsbury – Referral number:  07867028755. Open Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 6pm – Midnight

Crisis cafe’s are open throughout the Xmas period as usual with additional openings in Huddersfield Friday 13th & 20th December & 10th & 24th January.


  • Contact South West Yorkshire Foundation Trust Single Point of Access Team who can provide 24 hours a day of crisis support on:  01924 316830 
  • Speak to a friend, family member or someone you trust
  • Call the Samaritans 24 hour support service on telephone:  116 123
  • Make an urgent appointment to see your GP

Dental Treatment and Emergencies

If you are experiencing dental pain during the Christmas and New Year period contact 111 who can provide emergency dental appointments either in local hospitals or dental practices.  

Sexual health Support

The Locala Sexual Health service have some amended open hours and clinic times over the Christmas period, you can access the full list of the clinics and when they are operating here.

Wellbeing support

The Festive season can be a hard time of year for some people, so all the more reason to get out into the great outdoors and blow away the cobwebs.  


Do not visit an A&E or the GPs with symptoms of Norovirus as this may spread the virus.

Staying safe in Kirklees – Winter

For more information about flooding, housing, road closures and gritting please visit  :

Click here to return to the top of the page