Emergency contacts over Christmas and New Year

The Healthwatch Calderdale office will be closed from Christmas Day and will re-open on January 2, 2020.

Here are some emergency contacts if you are in crisis:

Click the topic below to skip to that section:

NHS 111


You can call 111 when you need medical help or for an out of hours GP appointment. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help; it is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

The simple rules are call 111 if:

  • you need medical help but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you might need to go to A&E
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • your GP surgery isn’t open
  • Dental pain
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next 

Pharmacy Opening Hours

Walk-in Services

Park Community Practice

Located in Horne Street Health Centre, Horne Street (off Pellon Lane), Halifax HX1 5UA.

There is some free car parking available in and around the centre and a bus stop nearby.

Out of Hours: 01422 399858

Calder Community Practice

Located on the second floor in the Todmorden Health Centre, Lower George Street, Todmorden OL14 5RN.

There is some free car parking available in and around the centre and Todmorden bus services and train station are within 5 minutes walking distance.

Out of Hours: 01706 811 106

You can also click here to find your nearest walk-in centre.

Who might I see at the Walk in Centre?

We have nurse practitioners and paramedic practitioners trained to diagnose and treat minor illnesses and injuries. We do not see patients under 1 years old or pregnancy related illness.

A&E or 999


Calderdale Royal Hospital

Tel: 01422 357171

Address:  Salterhebble, Halifax HX3 0PW

Website: http://www.cht.nhs.uk

Email: communications@cht.nhs.uk


999 should only be used in emergency or life threatening situation.  Here are some examples of situations when you should dial 999 immediately (please note, this list is not exhaustive):

  • Chest pain
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Severe loss of blood
  • Severe burns and scalds
  • Choking
  • Fitting/convulsions
  • Drowning
  • Severe allergic reaction
  • Head injury

Mental Health Support

 If you have already suffered serious harm: Call  999 and ask for an ambulance or go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department. If you have thoughts of self-harming, are feeling suicidal or have a life-threatening emergency, contact someone immediately.


  • Speak to a friend, family member or someone you trust
  • Call the Samaritans 24 hour support service on telephone:  116 123
  • Shout: Text Shout to 85258 or visit www.giveusashout.org/
  • Make an urgent appointment to see your GP

Dental Treatment and Emergencies

If you are experiencing dental pain during the Christmas and New Year period contact 111 who can provide emergency dental appointments either in local hospitals or dental practices.  

Sexual health Support

Sexual health clinics run at the Broad Street Plaza. Click here for opening times and more: https://sexualhealth.cht.nhs.uk/about-our-service/opening-times/

A number of Calderdale pharmacies are providing the EHC (sometimes known as morning after pill) Scheme which allows people to access this medication free even when the Clinic is closed. Click here to see a list of participating pharmacies.


Do not visit an A&E or the GPs with symptoms of Norovirus as this may spread the virus.

Calderdale Council

Gateway to Care is the main contact point for all social care services in Calderdale. Visit here for more details on the opening times for all Council services over Christmas and New Year:


Click here to return to the top of the page