How to make a complaint about health and social care

If you need help to find out where you should go to complain about a health or social care service, please look over the information below or feel free to contact us. We’d be happy to assist you to find the right place to make a complaint.

complaints calderdale


for a printable copy of the diagram above please click here: Calderdale – Complaints flow chart

Is the person at risk of harm or abuse?

Dial 999 in an emergency

For adults who are at risk of harm or abuse
Call Gateway to Care on 01422 393000
Complete an online enquiry form at this link: enquiry form
Write to Adults Health and Social Care, 1 Park Road, Halifax, HX1 2TU

For children who are at risk of harm or abuse
Call MAST (Multi-agency Screening Team) on 01422 393336 in normal working hours

Call the Emergency Duty team on 01422 288000 out of normal working hours
NSPCC Helpline 0808 800 5000, email, text 88858 (free service), or complete online form at this link: online form

Complaining about Social Care Services

If you have a complaint about any social care service, it is usually best to approach the person in charge of providing the service, for example, the owner or manager of the care home which you are making the complaint about. They may be able to deal with your complaint quickly and easily and help you to feel happier about the service being provided to you or someone you care about.

Compliments and complaints about social care services

If you do not want to complain directly to the service provider you can complain directly to Calderdale Council:

Write to: Calderdale Council, Complaints and Compliments Team, Freepost RTGL-EXHR-SRLH, Halifax Customer First, 1st Floor, 19 Horton Street, Halifax, HX1 1QE
Tel: 01422 288001

Complaining about Hospital, Community Care and Mental Health Services

If you have a complaint about any hospital or community care service, it is often helpful to speak to the person in charge, for example the Manager, the Matron, the Ward Sister or Therapist. They will listen to your concerns and may be able to look into what has happened without the need for you to make a complaint.

If you cannot resolve your complaint informally, you can make a formal complaint via the following contacts:

To complain to Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust

Write to: Patient Advice and Complaints Service, Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust, Acre Street, Lindley, Huddersfield HD3 3EA
Tel: 0800 013 0018

To complain to Locala

A wide range of Community Health Services are delivered by Locala. Services include health visitors, speech and language therapists, stop smoking support to district nursing as well
as dental care, school nurses, foot care and physiotherapy. Locala’s services are offered in health centres, surgeries, Holme Valley Memorial Hospital as well as in the home.

Write to: Freepost Plus RSCJ-LHSU-SEGH, Customer Liaison Team, Locala Community Partnerships CIC, First Floor, Beckside Court, Bradford Road, Batley WF17 5PW
Tel: 01924 351531
Visit their website: to complete their online form

To complain to South West Yorkshire NHS Partnership Foundation Trust

A wide range of Mental Health Services are delivered by South West Yorkshire NHS Partnership Foundation Trust (SWFT), including inpatient care, community mental health services, intensive home based treatment, Admiral Nurses and much more.

Write to: Customer Services, South West Yorkshire NHS Partnership Foundation Trust, Block 10, Fieldhead, Ouchthorpe Lane, Wakefield, WF1 3SP
Tel: 0800 5872108
Read the Customer Services leaflet here


You can also complain to the Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG) who commission (buy in) the majority of health services for people in Kirklees, including emergency care, elective hospital care, maternity services and community and mental health services.

To complain to Calderdale Clinical Commissioning Group

Write to: Dr Matt Walsh, Chief Officer, NHS Calderdale Clinical Commissioning Group, 5th Floor, F Mill, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX

Submit an online complaint form: online form

If you do not receive a response within 3days, please follow-up by calling 01422 307400 or email

Complaining about primary care eg Dentists, GP’s and Pharmacies

If you have a complaint about any primary care service, it is usually best to approach the person in charge of providing the service, for example, the Practice Manager at your GP surgery. They may be able to deal with your complaint quickly and easily and help you to feel happier about the service being provided to you or someone you care about.

If you cannot resolve your complaint informally, you can make a formal complaint to the service provider. Each service provider will have their own complaints policy which will tell you who to contact and how and when they will respond to your complaint.

If you have tried to resolve your complaint at local level and this has failed, or if you feel unable to complain directly to the service provider yourself, you can register an official complaint to NHS England via the complaints manager. You have several options for doing this:

Complaining to NHS England

Write to: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT
E-mail: with ‘for the attention of the complaints manager’ in the subject line
Phone: 0300 311 22 33 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, excluding English bank holidays)

Provide as much information as possible to allow NHS England to investigate your complaint. Include some or all of the following:
your name and a valid email or home address for reply;
a clear description of your complaint;
copies of earlier associated correspondence between yourself and NHS England; and
any valid correspondence case reference numbers.
NHS England aim to respond to all complaints within 20 working days. If they are unable to reply within this time, they will let you know and provide a realistic estimate of when you can expect a reply.

Alternative ways to give feedback

NHS Choices
You can make general comments about any NHS Service on the NHS Choices website

Care Opinion
You can comment on social care and health services on this website

Care Quality Commission
For any comments or complaints about health or social care services, you can also contact the Care Quality Commission

General Medical Council
The General Medical Council (GMC) deals with the most serious complaints about doctors. These are complaints that might require a doctor’s registration to be restricted or removed to protect patients and uphold public confidence in the medical profession. They are one of a number of organisations responsible for considering patients’ concerns and, depending on the circumstances, it may be more appropriate for you to raise your concerns with another one of these organisations first.
Tel: 0161 923 6602

General Dental Council
The General Dental Council set and maintain standards in UK dentistry. Your dental professional must be registered and must continue to meet expectations throughout their careers. The General Dental Council can take action if they do not.
Tel: 0845 222 4141 or 020 7887 3800

Advocacy and support when making a complaint

NHS Complaints Advocacy Service
Calderdale NHS Complaints Advocacy Service can assist you in making a complaint about any NHS Service. The Service is run by us, here at Healthwatch Calderdale, and is completely independent of the NHS. We can assist you to make a complaint yourself or, if you need more help, we can take a more active role. If necessary, we can assist you to progress a complaint to Health Services Ombudsman. Get in touch with us on 01422 399433 or email

Cloverleaf Advocacy Service
This service will provide advocacy for anyone who wants to make a complaint about Adult Social Care Services. They also provide independent advocacy for people with mental health needs, learning disability, people with physical and sensory impairment, acquired brain injury, carers and older people.
Write to: Cloverleaf Advocacy, 26 Bond Street, Dewsbury WF13 1AU
Tel: 01924 438438
Visit their website:

Children’s Rights Service
This service will support and advocate for children and young people who want to complain about the way they are being cared for or about a children’s social care service they are receiving.
Write to or drop in:
Kirklees Children’s Rights Service
Brian Jackson House (2nd Floor)
New North Parade
Freephone: 0800 389 3312 or tel 01484 223388

Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission make sure hospitals, care homes, dental and GP surgeries, and all other care services in England provide people with safe, effective, compassionate and high-quality care, and encourage them to make improvements.
Care Quality Commission, CQC National Correspondence, PO Box 1258, Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 5AU
03000 616161


If you have made a complaint about but are unhappy with the response, you can ask the Ombudsman to look into your complaint further.

The Ombudsman for all Health Service related Complaints
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, London SW1P 4QP
Tel: 0345 015 4033
Minicom: 0300 061 4298 (Calls to these numbers cost the same as a call to a UK landline)8:30am – 5:30pm Monday – Friday
Request a call back – Text ‘call back’ with your name and your mobile number to 07624 813 005 to receive a call back within one working day during our office hours.
There is advice here to help South Asian and Muslim women complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

The Ombudsman for Social Care Services

For help with making a complaint please call on 0300 061 0614. (Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers (starting 01 or 02) from both mobiles and landlines, and will be included as part of any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes in the same way as geographic calls. Please note that calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes.)

The lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm.
You can visit their website at or use the complaint form.
Alternatively, you can write to:

The Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH
You can also text ‘call back’ to 0762 480 3014. And you can contact us using a textphone via the Text Relay service (formerly Typetalk).